Thursday, June 19, 2008

3 down, 1 to go

I have 4 kids. All girls in fact. The oldest is getting hearing aids next week. The second has been wearing hearing aids since she was 6 months. Number three passed her newborn screening. The baby just tested today and early testing indicates a moderate hearing loss.

For any who don't know, hearing loss can be mild, moderate, severe and profound. With mild you have to repeat stuff to them, with profound hearing aids won't do any good and you will need to learn sign. That is really basic, but that will do for most folks. There are many areas between, like mild/moderate, unilateral, bilateral, sloping, flat and cookie bite. I don't know very much about all of it still. Sadly I have not done as much research as I should have.

Daughter number three is being tested next week, just for good measure. my oldest, A, went 8 years before her loss was identified. So there is a possibility that S could have hearing loss too.

Like I said, 3 down, 1 to go.

No comments: