Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tonsil surgery

Yesterday morning, Laura had her tonsils and adenoids removed.  No, she didn't have lots of sore throats or strep.  In fact, I don't think she has ever had strep.  What she did have were huge tonsils.  So big that they caused her to snore, and wake often.  Like sleep apnea.  Which is not cool starting as a little kid.  They also made it hard for her to eat.  So they had to come out.  Here is a picture of them once they were out:  





Just kidding.  That would be nasty.  OK, really, they wouldn't let me see them.  What I do have are two pictures of her once she came out of surgery and out of anesthesia. 
 This first one is her looking at her IV, all wrapped up.  She tore off all the other tubes and whatnot as she started waking up.


This one is her hugging her "Music Baby," She calmed down and slept for about an hour before being released.

I know, she looks all small and vulnerable there.  That hour there at the surgery center was the last time she slept yesterday, until she finally crashed at around 9pm.  She didn't slow down at all.  She spent her "recovery day" bouncing all over the house, sitting upside down on the couch, chasing Adam, and being mad that I wouldn't give her crackers.  Before bed, she told me her throat hurt a little, then yelled when Emma was exhausted after telling her stories for an hour.  Emma was making them up and I have no idea how she managed a whole hour! 

She spent the day today trying to finagle more solid foods, eating popsicles like they were going out of style, and mad that I wouldn't let her ride her scooter.  And watching Rolie Polie Olie and The Brady Bunch.   We also went to the library to pick up the new Sisters Grimm book.  She fell asleep in the car on the way home, and that was the only time she was still today. 

Tomorrow will most likely be more of the same.  I am pretty glad that she is doing well.  I hope her over-exuberance won't adversely affect her healing. 

1 comment:

Helen & Bill said...

When I saw Laura and asked her if her throat hurt, she said no. I could hardly believe she was doing so well. What a blessing!